Wednesday, May 2, 2012

37 weeks!

I'm now in my 37th week and went to the doctor today....progress has been made! The doctor said he has "engaged" which basically means he dropped into my pelvis. I was happy to hear this because everyone keeps saying "you're still carrying so high, I don't think you'll be going into labor any time soon." The doctor said my stomach may or may not drop more but doesn't really matter as far as when I would go into labor. Also over 50% effaced but no dilation yet. I always thought dilation meant labor was coming soon but apparently it doesn't. You can go into labor without ever dilating or you could be dilated for like a month before anything happens! I've learned that there are no rules when it comes to pregnancy and the process can be completely different from person to person. If you have never been pregnant but plan on it, just know that every single person will tell you something different and be adamant about their opinion! 

For instance, when you first get pregnant you will hear "oh, you arent nauseous? DEFINITELY a boy." or "youre breaking out? DEFINITELY a girl" or "you're carrying high and straight out. thats EXACTLY how I was and I had a boy/girl" Those gender wivetales are all bs. i mean you have a 50/50 shot at it being right so of course people will say "oh they're true, it was right for me!" yeah, duh, you had good odds!

When you are in your third trimester you will get unwanted parenting advice and people will be absolutely sure about how your labor will go. I've heard things like "oh it wont be more than 9 hours and you'll just get the epidural and be fine" or "you'll have a long labor because its your first and you'll be pushing FOREVER" or "well did you mom have a long labor? because you will" or "You MUST get the epidural the SECOND you start getting uncomfortable. Seriously. Trust me. Seriously. do it. you have to" 
But on the other hand, I do appreciate some of the advice I get especially if they are sharing it and not TELLING me how it's going to be. Like my friend Rachel just had her baby and let me know to take pillows and a blanket for Keith because they don't give him any. Now because I love him dearly I will do this. BUT if I want to see him suffer (as I supposedly will be), I could pretend I didn't hear that advice. 

And when you're super pregnant people are really nice to you. Like you can waddle across the street and even though someone is trying to turn and you're taking to long in the cross walk they smile at you instead of flicking you off. People will stop and say things like "oh when are you due??? my daughter/niece/hamster/dog is due this month too!"  and you'll have the creepy dude in the coffee shop nonchalantly hit on you by saying things like "wheres your husband? oh...yeah i figured he was at work. You're too cute to get randomly knocked up"  aw, so sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment